This delicious side dish went down a storm at my May Lunch Club. Sweet Potato Dauphinoise, the perfect accompaniment to a roast dinner and it can also be prepared the day before.
Serves: 8-10 as a side dish
Time: 20 mins prep, 1 ½ hours cooking
5 Sweet Potatoes (approx. 1½ kg)
20g Fresh Sage
6 Cloves of Garlic
1tsp Coarse Sea Salt
½tsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
450ml Whipping Cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan assisted).
- Rub the Sweet Potatoes under cold running water, just hand wash is fine. Don’t peel them!
- Slice the potatoes approximately 5mm thick. A mandolin will save a lot of time here. A food processing slice setting is a little too thin.
- Place the Potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, peel and crush the Garlic and add to the mixing bowl. Give everything a good stir around.
- Pick the Sage leaves off the stalks and place them in a mug. Take a pair of scissors and roughly chop the Sage.
- Add the Sage to the mixing bowl along with the Salt & Pepper and give it another good stir around.
- Arrange the Potatoes in an oven-proof serving dish. Stand them upright so the skins are showing and pack them quite tightly.
- Tip the last of the Sage and Garlic on the top and spread out evenly.
- Cover with foil.
- At this point the dish can be placed in the fridge for cooking the next day.
- When ready to cook, place the foil covered dish in the preheated oven and cook for 45 mins.
- Remove the foil and pour the Cream all over the potatoes.
- Add the Sage to the mixing bowl.
- Return the dish to the oven, this time uncovered and cook for a further 30-45mins. The Cream will have thickened and be all bubbly. To test if they’re cooked, stick sharp knife or skewer in to the potatoes at various points; they should be soft, but not quite squishy.
- Serve immediately and listen to all the ‘Mmmm’s’.